TONY CARNAHAN - Founder
Tony has been working with students for 20 years. From coach to teacher to administrator to counselor, he has worn many educational hats through his journey and has enjoyed every step along the way. As a college counselor for 18 years, he has spent a great deal of time tracking the ever-changing landscape of college admissions. Much of his research and information is data-driven, but he is also fully committed to the personhood of each student: he is renowned for guiding students along an individual path to their perfect college community. Tony has extensive experience with students of all kinds and has a deep understanding of the academic and social opportunities at schools across the country. Throughout his career he has spent time on nearly 500 college and high school campuses, working closely with admissions officers, college coaches, and high school counselors to ensure that students have the chance to thrive at the university level and beyond.
When not meeting with students and families, Tony can be found at the beach with his wife Megan and daughters Dylan, Sunny, and Zoey. He is an avid cyclist, novice triathlete, and lover of great pizza.
Professional Career Path:
- 1997: Tony graduated from the University of Scranton with a bachelor's degree in History. He was a Regional All-American and Captain of the soccer team. He spent a year as an assistant coach before heading off to grad school.
- 1997-99: Accepted a position as Graduate Assistant Soccer Coach with the Men's Soccer Team at the University at Buffalo. While at UB, he completed a M.Ed in School Counseling.
- 1999-2002: Served as the Dean of Students, Assistant College Counselor, AP European History Teacher, and Head Boy's Soccer Coach at St. Anselm's Abbey School in Washington, DC.
- 2002-2012: Accepted the role of Director of College Counseling at St. Benedict's Preparatory School in Newark, NJ. He was also a member of the soccer coaching staff, a history teacher, a member of the admissions committee, Chair of the Honor Code Committee, and helped to usher the school through the transition to a block schedule as the Dean of Instruction.
- 2011-2015: Tony began his career as an Independent College Counselor at Ivy Educational Services, NJ. He spent time overseeing the work of fellow counselors as well as working on the search, application/essay, and selection process with a full caseload of students and families.
- 2013-2016: Named the founding Director of College Counseling at YSC Academy in Wayne, PA. YSC Academy is the first school in the country to be affiliated with a professional sports team (Philadelphia Union, MLS) with the goal of helping student-athletes reach their potential both in the classroom and on the field.
- 2014-present: Founded Coastal College Counseling with the goal of bringing a calm, organized, collaborative approach to the tri-state area and beyond.
Professional Memberships & boards:
- National Association for College Admissions Counseling
- Professional Member of the Independent Educational Consultants Association
- New Jersey Association for College Admissions Counseling, Executive Board Member 2015-present
- High Point University National Admissions Advisory Board 2017-present
- NJACAC Annual Conference:
- Collaborative Counseling (2014)
- Semantics and Sanity (2012)
- Waiting for Superman/Race to Nowhere (2011)
- Where the Boys Are? (2010)
- NACAC Regional College Fair (2014): The Essay Writing Process
- Future 500 Soccer Camps (2014-2017): College Process Presentation for families and student-athletes
- Manasquan High School PTO (2015 & 2016): Navigating the College Process
- Cedar Stars Academy-Monmouth (2016-2018): Understanding the College Admissions and Recruiting Process
- United States Naval Academy Soccer Camp (2017): Understanding the College Admissions and Recruiting Process
- Scholarship Reader for the Wells Mountain Foundation
- NJACAC Camp College & College Key
- Fundraiser for the American Cancer Society
- Shark River Lacrosse, Youth Lacrosse Coach
- Wall Soccer Club, Youth Soccer Coach
- Spring Lake Heights Board of Education, Ad Hoc Committee Member
TIM BAUER - DIRECTOR OF TUTORING, COLLEGE ESSAY GURU
2012-Graduated from Rutgers University, Double major in English and Psychology with a Minor in Philosophy.
Tim began his arc as an educator working hand-in-hand with several boutique tutoring establishments in and around the tri-state area. His vocation has taken him across the globe from San Diego to Geneva, though his heart has always remained at the Jersey shore. For years, he has studied and unpacked the infernal machinery of the SAT and the ACT, and specializes in tutoring all subjects (yes, even Underwater Basketweaving).
Tim believes Education is an internal journey, and has pointed hundreds of students the way to their academic success. Whether helping students prepare for the AP European History test or working on general study skills, Tim relies upon the Socratic method to inspire his students to their fullest potential.
You'll usually find Tim nose-deep in Marquez or practicing Latin declensions, of which there are about ten too many. He enjoys collecting Vintage Contemporary novels, shoots two to three rounds of Archery with his morning coffee (weather permitting), and believes Slick Rick to be best rapper of all time.
If there's anything Tim has learned, it's that no two students (or humans, for that matter) are anywhere near alike, and he doesn't quite understand why modern education has such a tough time grasping this simple fact.
He'd also like to add that he was a part of a secret society in college-- no joke-- but it was not the notorious Skull and Bones. No, definitely not Skull and Bones.